Daiso Japan – 2P Onigiri Case
The Onigiri (Japanese rice ball) can be commonly found in Japanese bento lunch boxes, and many people pack them for picnics in the park, especially during the Cherry Blossom season. Onigiris are sold almost everywhere in Japan. The local convenience store or supermarkets usually has a corner stocked with onigiris filled with different fillings. If you want to try making onigiris at home, these onigiri cases from Daiso can be used as molds and help you make them perfectly shaped.
And an added bonus, the cases can protect your onigiris from getting squished and squashed in your bag.
The Daiso Onigiri cases come in a set of 2. There are 2 clips on either side of the case to hold the two halves of the case together. The top of the cases on both are white with illustrations, with the backs of the case in light brown and dark brown. They have a nice simple design on the front casing. One with a spoon and fork illustration, another with a house illustration. Both have the text ‘HAVE FUN EVERYDAY, ENJOY YOUR LIFE’, which is a deep message coming from an onigiri case.
How to make an onigiri using the case
Use just over half a bowl of rice to make an onigiri. A bowl of rice is approximately 200ml.
1. Cover the top of the Onigiri case base (half with no clips on the side) with plenty of excess plastic wrap (cling film).
2. Fill the case with half of the rice, and add filling. Cover the filling with the remaining rice.
3. Wrap the rice with the plastic wrap, and close the case lid over the rice.
Gently shaking the case after attaching the lid will help create a more attractive onigiri.
– Keep away from heat or fire.
– Using a scourer or scouring powder may scratch the surface.
– Do not use in microwaves.
– Do not use in oven, grill or direct flame.
– To clean, use a sponge or soft cloth with mild detergent or with just warm water.
– Do not use in dish washers or dish dryers.
– This product is not an air-tight container.
Product name: 2P Onigiri Case （おにぎり型ケース2P – onigiri kata ke-su 2P）
Sold in 100 yen shop Daiso Japan
Product code: 4549131383911
Capacity: 140ml for each case
Use between temperatures of -20℃ ~ 120℃ (-4℉ ~ 248℉)
Size: 80(W) x 77(D) x 39(H)mm
Weight: 26g for each case
Made in China
Price: 100 yen + tax
Simple instructions printed in both Japanese and English.
These cases are very handy for picnics, as the last thing you want is to have your onigiris squashed and fillings all over the place. The cases themselves are sturdy, quality is pretty good. The illustrations are nice, even with the deep message, but as you can see from my photos, the spoon illustration is smudged before it dried.
I would say the price for 2 is not bad, however there are tonnes of onigiri cases sold everywhere. Just a quick search online, I am able to find a set of 4 onigiri cases (Made in Japan) from a reliable shopping brand for just under 500 yen, so the Daiso Onigiri Cases are just OK for value.