Can★Do – Rice Washer
What is this beastly contraption? No it’s not a torturing device.
This is an all-in-one rice washer and strainer.
Why would anyone want to use such a device? Wouldn’t washing with your hands be sufficient?
This rice washer device is useful when you don’t want to get your hands wet. For example, if have cuts in your fingers or hand, washing with the rice washer would not sting the wounds; for those who don’t want to ruin their fancy nails; or just to get the job done without freezing your hands off.
The strainer part on the side fits most bowls or pots, allowing the cloudy water to be poured off without spilling some rice into the sink.
The head part is detachable for easy cleaning.
How to use
Refer to the last image posted above for graphical instructions.
1. Fill a bowl with enough water to submerge all the rice. Holding the rice washer by the handle, place the head part into the rice and stir around a few times.
2. Pour off the cloudy water using the strainer part of the rice washer.
3. Briskly stir the rice evenly for about 30 times.
(repeat Steps 1. to 3. three times).
4. Finally, rinse and strain the rice about 2 more times. If the poured water is almost clear, the rice washing is done.
– Wash the rice washer with detergent before using it for the first time.
– Do not use to wash rice directly in the inner pot of the rice cooker. (I guess this is to avoid scratching the surface of the inner bowl).
– Too much force is used, or washing with the rice washer too many times may cause cracks or damaging of the rice.
– Hold then strainer firmly to the edge of the bowl when straining the water from the rice.
– After use, detach the head part for cleaning, and dry thoroughly.
– Do not use in dishwashers or dish dryers.
– Keep away from heated areas or fire.
– Do not use the product for any purpose other than as originally intended.
Product name: Naruhodo Kometogi （なるほど米とぎ）
Sold in 100 yen shop Can★Do
Produced by Inomata Kagaku Co. (Japan)
Product code: 4905596081067
Material: Handle part – Polypropylene, Head part – Polyethylene
Size: 65 x 64 x 298mm
Heat resistance – Handle part: 120℃ (248℉), Head part: 70℃ (158℉)
Made in Japan
Available colors: Pink, White and Green.
Price: 100 yen + tax
Text is all in Japanese, and has images for instructions on the back of the packaging.
I have one that I use when washing rice with cold water. It’s very simple to use, and the strainer makes straining the water from the rice easy. The rice washer can be hung up easily after use, so doesn’t take up space. Definitely not a must have, but a nice to have.